Director, Respiratory Portfolio Acceleration
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. The Director of Respiratory Portfolio Acceleration is responsible for leading the implementation of prioritized efforts to create, optimize, pilot, and scale novel commercial capabilities with internal stakeholders and external suppliers on behalf of the US Respiratory team. This position will create and grow strategic commercial capabilities relevant to drive AstraZeneca’s competitive advantage, while guiding the organization towards new ways of operating and identifying new technologies and services that will enable the organization to reach objectives in new ways. Through identifying and evaluating new technologies and best practices, this role will enable the US Respiratory organization to take on new opportunities and challenges, expand its areas of expertise, and increase its capabilities.
The Director will develop strategic partnerships and innovation for marketed and late-stage products through creative thinking and ideation that transcends traditional pharmaceutical marketing and sales approaches. This role will bring externally sourced innovation that is pivotal to AstraZeneca’s success in improving customer and patient experiences, while growing revenues and market share. The Director will report directly to the Head of Respiratory Portfolio Acceleration. The Director will be a visionary that can execute plans to design, develop and oversee programs, and the external suppliers/partners used for delivery, that result in the overall growth and development of practical innovation across the US business. The Director will lead exploration into areas adjacent to but outside traditional business boundaries to source unconventional, yet practical, approaches to uncover high value opportunities and to convert them into new and sustainable business models. Will require a dual focus exploring the intersection of multiple emerging trends and defining how the convergence of two or more technologies or capabilities might satisfy powerful latent customer and/or patient needs.
The Director is responsible for securing and managing appropriate resources and skills through both employed and contracted entities, allocating those resources to meet the demands of their responsibilities, and ensuring the timely execution of their plans, including both cross-functional and management support. This role fulfills the critical function of aligning our marketing and sales functions around customer-facing solutions and innovative technologies and supplier relationships, and with ensuring that resources are aligned to execute, optimize, measure and potentially scale these solutions to support Respiratory marketing and sales functions. This role will also collaborate with counterparts from AstraZeneca’s Market Access, Global Digital & Innovation, Health Economics, Medical Affairs, Market Research and similar functions to ensure that ideas, solutions, methodologies and resources are shared and allocated to serve the needs of the larger organization.
The ideal candidate will be an accomplished and experienced health and life sciences marketing innovator with a proven track record of creating meaningful and engaging patient and provider experiences, especially within digital and health information platforms. At the same time, it is critical that the Director understands how to pair strategy with internal client engagement and external supplier management in a highly regulated environment.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a robust pipeline of disruptive innovation that drives incremental and profitable growth. Provide thought leadership to inspire greatness, divergent thinking, and ongoing inspiration for business building platforms for sustained growth.
- Will “call on” other businesses in a B2B development capacity to foster new relationships with suppliers and publishers that have existing relationships with the very customers and patients Respiratory brands need to communicate with.
- Identifies and establishes business to business collaborations with health IT and services companies that derive mutually beneficial and sustainable relationships.
- Fosters and facilitates strategic alliances with AZ customers as needed to test and deploy collaborations between AZ and third-party health IT and services companies.
- Lead cross-functional teams on ideation of prototypes and utilize an agile test and iterate approach to inform solutions (digital, service, and physical) and any backend requirements
- Evaluate internal capabilities and external opportunities (build, partner, invest) based on qualitative, quantitative and financial measures
- Provide business specifications and prioritize features for execution of a minimum viable product (MVP) ensuring that anticipated MVP cost meets ROI expectations
- Oversee implementation of new product at scale
- Provide leadership and direction to contractors and other entities working within and in support of the Partnerships and Customer Innovations team to ensure delivery of business objectives, efficiency across the marketing and sales functions, and sharing of best practices.
- Help design and provide oversight to measurement activities necessary to evaluate initiatives
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field (e.g. Business, Marketing, Communications, Science, Healthcare)
- 10+ years’ experience in pharmaceutical, healthcare or related consulting industries
- Ability to plan, lead, manage and influence organizational change
- Proven project and budget management skills
- Strong teamwork, collaboration and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to work within AstraZeneca's operating model
- Demonstrated innovative thinking, novel approaches to creating business solutions, with proven results
- Demonstrated ability to create and sustain cross-functional collaboration and balance competing organizational priorities Brand or department/function leadership or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated financial management, analytical skills, leadership skills
- Understanding of AZ brand and sales needs, including knowledge of customer segments, market dynamics, brand strategies, and internal processes
- Demonstrated understanding of legal/regulatory/compliance requirements and corporate policies and guidelines
- Experience with technologies and services that shape the current healthcare environment (Health IT, Point of Care communication, Digital health)
- MBA or equivalent experience (e.g., management consulting, entrepreneur or combination of these skills and experiences)
- Ability to travel (in some cases internationally) up to 20% of time
Next Steps – Apply Today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.