Position: Publications Lead
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland; Boston, Massachusetts
You are responsible for the development, management, and execution of strategic publication plans and high-quality reviews and clinical publications for investigational pipeline products in oncology. You are responsible for ensuring all projects have a publication plan and deliverables are in compliance with AstraZeneca publication policies, external publication guidelines, and that publications represent a transparent and fair balance communication of data. You work under limited supervision to ensure deliverables are completed per time and to quality goals. You collaborate with cross-functional teams in the development of publication plans of external communications area in alignment with project strategy and objectives.
- Leads development of key messages for project related communications.
- Serves as key contact for all publication-related activities for assigned programs.
- Leads the publication development process to deliver high-quality publications, leading cross- functional teams, effectively collaborating with internal and external key stakeholders, and ensuring compliance with internal and external publication guidelines.
- Ensures the timely dissemination of clinical data from investigational pipeline products according to budget, timelines, and strategic publication plans.
- Ensures that strategically aligned scientific communication points are delivered and that statements and conclusions in publications are accurate and supported by appropriate data.
- Uses subject matter expertise to make recommendations on programs/projects; provides publications insight and input to develop effective operating models and build effective relationships with partners and collaborators.
- Identifies relevant research trends and scientific gaps to contribute to publication strategy and development.
- Partners with Publication Associate/Project Manager to oversee the publication sign-off process (PSO) including publication tracking and documentation through the e-publication system, ensuring compliance with internal polices and external publication guidelines.
- Provide on-site support at key scientific congresses and meetings.
- Ensures the high quality and transparency of publications by maintaining/promoting familiarity with ICMJE, GPP3, CONSORT, AMA, and other external standards as well as AstraZeneca publication policies and procedures.
- Contributes to ongoing process improvements, including development and/or revisions of procedural documents.
- Contributes to/develops budget forecasts and planning for publication strategy and development.
- Thorough working knowledge and understanding of all aspects of publication strategy and planning is required.
- Previous experience writing and editing peer-reviewed clinical publications highly desirable. Previous experience with management of contract resources/vendors required.
- Knowledge/Understanding of GPP3, ICMJE, AMA, and other publication standards.
- Demonstrates flexibility while supporting multiple projects, dealing effectively with change and ambiguity, and prioritizing deadlines; ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with external experts, investigators, journal editors, publishers, and professional bodies.
- Ability to analyze critically and synthesize scientific information from a broad range of scientific disciplines and clinical therapeutic areas.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills; ability to work collaboratively with diverse teams; experience working cross-culturally and cross-functionally.
- Strong attention to detail and problem-solving, decision-making, and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required; working knowledge of electronic publication system required.
- Travel occasionally (Up to 10%)
Required Education and Experience:
- Requires PhD degree in a biomedical discipline with proven scientific and/or publications expertise.
- AMWA, BELS, Project Management, and/or ISMPP certification a plus.
- Requires 3-5 years of experience in medical communications/publications in pharmaceutical/biotech industry, medical communications agency, CRO, or academic setting with equivalent work experience.
- Strong track record in publications or project management required; ability to effectively manage multiple stakeholders and projects to within budget.
- Working knowledge of overall drug development process, including stages of development and role of different functional areas required. Background in biologics and/or previous experience in AstraZeneca oncology products is a plus.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.