Proteomics Sr. Scientist Chemical Biology
As a Senior Scientist you will be a key contributor to our Proteomics Mass Spectrometry (MS) Platform and join the AstraZeneca interdisciplinary state-of-the-art Chemical Biology and Proteomics team. You will utilize MS-based analytical methods to elucidate the mechanism of actions and selectivity profiles of our hits, leads, and candidate drugs to understand the drivers of efficacy and flag potential safety concerns, particularly contributing to our small molecule protein degradation portfolio.
You must be proactive, able to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with various project teams, across scientific disciplines such as chemistry, molecular biology, and safety to contribute to iterative experimental design and mechanistic hypotheses generation through the interpretation of complex proteomics data.
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to discover, develop, manufacture and market prescription medicines that make a positive impact on the lives of patients as well as their families and communities. At AstraZeneca, our vision is redefining cancer, redefining our solutions to cancer and restoring patients' lives. Our mission is to make a meaningful difference to patient health through great medicines that bring benefit for patients and add value for society.
In addition to our passion for the discovery of innovative new medicines, we understand the importance of flexibility in our work-life environment and we offer a wide variety of benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources they need to pursue not only their work goals but also their life goals. We are dedicated to building strong research teams that embrace the diversity of talents of team members and allow the larger group to grow and learn together to accomplish our collective goal to improve human health.
The Senior Scientist – Chemical Biology will be accountable for specified aspects of the chemical biology strategies according to the project objectives that include:
- Designing and delivering on projects with the highest scientific standards, utilizing quantitative mass spectrometry-based proteomics methods such as global and targeted proteomics and chemoproteomics pull-downs to address specific biological questions, particularly those relevant to protein degradation.
- Collaborating with the chemical biology platform, bioinformaticians, and various project teams across scientific disciplines such as chemistry, molecular biology, and safety, to contribute to experimental design and mechanistic hypothesis generation through the interpretation of complex proteomics data.
- Developing new methods for mass spectrometry-based quantitative proteomics, including methods for relative and absolute protein quantitation.
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment, regularly presenting internal updates and contributing to publication strategy in high level peer-reviewed journals and international conferences
- Will require at minimum: PhD in chemical biology, proteomics or biochemistry, 2+ years of postdoctoral experience preferred.
The ideal candidate should be/have:
- Able to to independently design and execute comprehensive, mass-spectrometry based proteomics experiments for cellular signaling pathway interrogation, hypothesis testing and practical knowledge with suitable biological models. Proteomics studies in the context of protein degradation biology strongly desired.
- Proficiency in proteomic sample preparation and MS quantification methods such as SILAC, TMT, as well as label free methods such as DIA. Experience in absolute and relative protein quantitation using targeted or unbiased methods a plus.
- Experience with Orbitrap mass spectrometers (e.g. Q Exactive, Orbitrap Fusion Lumos, Exploris, and Eclipse), and ability to process and analyze data (Proteome Discoverer, MaxQuant) with a fundamental understanding of statistics.
- Highly self-motivated, with excellent attention to detail and strong organizational and communication skills (written and oral).
- Creative and independent scientific thinker to solve complex technical and scientific problems, and scientifically curious with a desire to learn as well as impart insights in their discipline.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.