Local Study Leader
Purpose of the Job
To lead Local Study Team(s) (LSTs) at country level to deliver committed components of clinical studies according to agreed resources, budget and timelines complying with AZ Procedural Documents, international guidelines such as ICH-GCP as well as relevant local regulations
- Overall responsibility for the study commitments within the country, for timely delivery of data to required quality as per SMA.
- Lead Local Study Team(s) consisting of monitors and study administrator(s).
- Lead and optimise the performance of the local Study Team(s) at country level ensuring compliance with AZ Procedural Documents, ICH-GCP and local regulations and to update other study team members on study matters
- Lead development of Local Monitoring Plan as per Targeted Monitoring guidance from respective Study Team.
- Contribute to review of monitoring visit reports and pro-actively advice the Monitor(s) on study related matters.
- Perform any required co-monitoring & QC visits with study monitor(s)
- Proactively identify and facilitate resolution of complex study problems and issues.
- Organise regular Local Study Team meetings on an agenda driven basis.
- Actively work towards achieving good personal relationships with all Local Study Team members.
- Report study progress/update to the SMO Study Leader/Team.
- Contribute to patient recruitment strategy including regular communication with concerned Investigators as necessary.
- Communicate and co-ordinate regularly with National Co-ordinating Investigator / National Lead Investigator on recruitment and other study matters.
- Coordinate the process for selection of potential Investigators considering capability, competence, etc, of the Hospitals/sites.
- Plan and lead national Investigator meetings, in line with local codes
- Assist in forecasting study timelines, resources, recruitment, budget, study materials and drugs.
- Work in close coordination with Study Drug Coordinator to create a robust Drug Consumption Plan.
- Ensure timely preparation of country SMA, fSMA and Master CSA.
- Ensure completeness of the Study Master File and ensure essential documents are sent to SMO/Hub location/site.
- Ensure local Serious Adverse Event (SAE) reconciliation takes place.
- Facilitate translation of documents (ICFs, patient diaries, participation cards, etc) through external providers.
- Ensure timely submission of proper application/documents to EC/IRB.
- Work together with Regulatory Affairs to ensure timely delivery of proper application/documents for submissions to Regulatory Authority.
- Set up and maintain the study in IMPACT at study country level.
- Ensure accurate payments related to the study are performed.
- Participate in training and coaching new members of the Local Study Team ensuring compliance with ICH/GCP and AZ Procedural Documents.
- Ensure that all study documents are ready for final archiving and sign-off completion of local part of the Study Master File.
- Plan and lead activities associated with audits and regulatory inspections in liaison with Clinical Process Manager and QA.
- Provide input to process development and improvement.
- Provide regular information to Line Managers (SMM Director/CRM) at country level on study/ies and planned study milestones/key issues.
- Update Line Managers (SMM Director/CRM) about the performance of the monitors/CRAs.
- Ensure that study activities at country level comply with local policies & code of conduct.
- For CRA work, see Monitor Job Description
- Excellent knowledge of international guidelines (ICH/GCP) and relevant local regulations.
- Good understanding of the Drug Development Process.
- Excellent understanding of the Clinical Study Process (Monitoring, Study drug handling process, Data management process).
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experienced Level (5-years of experience in Pharma)
Desired skills or requirements
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English.
- Good ability to learn and to adapt to work with IT systems.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.