Automation Engineer (Philadelphia, PA) - Operations
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
The Philadelphia, PA site manufactures a life-saving influenza vaccine. Our product is aseptically filled into sprayers for nasal administration. The site consists of two geographic locations - a facility at Red Lion Road in NE Philadelphia has about 140 full-time employees and the Bensalem storage and distribution facility has about 5 employees. The facilities are about 8 miles apart and both are situated close to I-95, the city of Philadelphia, and Philadelphia International Airport. Our product is sold in the US, UK and other countries. Operations continue year round, with the production season being in the summer (typically May – August). Our site is highly collaborative where we show our Philly pride in all we do. We work closely together, always striving to be better every day. We have a network of employee teams who deliver many kinds of employee engagement activities, from our famous Wingbowl, to inclusion events, a site picnic, community outreach, health and wellness activities, and a green team.
Position is located in Philadelphia, PA
The Automation Engineer is responsible for providing technical support to the manufacturing and Bulk storage buildings at the Philadelphia site for equipment and system troubleshooting, operation support, QA support, IT support and validation support. Also, write validation protocol and testing script development associated with software review, testing, trouble-shooting, and assessing/testing modifications and improvements to automated systems and data management/storage systems.
What you’ll do:
- Select, design, and implement new/replacement systems as required for existing or new (tech transfer) processes, equipment, and automated systems; continuous improvement initiatives; and Asset Life Cycle Management.
- Resolve technical issues, identifying root causes and defining corrective/preventive actions.
- Lead assigned change controls associated with equipment and automated systems.
- Possess some technical skills and knowledge with biopharmaceutical operations, process/utility equipment.
- Create/update equipment and automated systems operation and maintenance documentation and training materials.
- Identify/update spare parts and preventive maintenance procedures for new/modified equipment and automated systems.
- Able to read P&ID and AFD and Support FAT, SAT, commissioning, and validation activities for assigned equipment and automated systems.
- Possess some understanding of engineering drawings, SOPs, vendor documentation, and other technical documentation.
- Develop capability to provide technical support during audits and inspections.
- Develop capability to train necessary staff on equipment operation.
Essential for the role:
- BA/BS degree required in Engineering/Life Sciences.
- 1-5+ years applicable engineering experience with 1 to 3+ years of manufacturing (regulated) industry experience.
- Working knowledge of electronic theory and its application.
- Understanding of instrumentation and control loops.
Understands and can troubleshoot one or more of the following:
- PLC and Distributed control systems, particularly Rockwell Automation
- Control network
- Building management systems, particularly Siemens Building Automation
- VFD and motor control systems
- IT infrastructure
- Understanding of programming concepts.
- Understanding of risk assessment and mitigation.
- Understanding of reliability-centered maintenance.
- Understanding of data analytics.
- Understanding of GAMP and GAMP categories.
- Understanding of validation principles.
- Proficiency in investigation and problem solving.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial -finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.