Medical Science Liaison – Oncology
At AstraZeneca, we are united by a common purpose – to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. This purpose underpins everything we do; our work helps to make hearts healthier, to help people breathe easier, and to help more people survive cancer. Every single day, we make a difference by delivering potentially life-changing medicines to millions of people worldwide and by leading breakthrough science that promises to transform the treatment of disease
Our purpose is bold and so is our approach. Becoming a more agile and innovative company means building a dynamic, inspiring culture where we celebrate entrepreneurial thinking and act with a sense of urgency. We are courageous, taking risks and learning from both success and failure. We are curious, creative, and open to new ideas and ways of working. Above all, we are passionate about science and driven to always put patients first. Join us and be part of a great place to work; an environment that energizes and empowers each of us to achieve our goal to develop and deliver medicines.
Location:Field-basedOntario (Eastern Ontario)
Are you motivated to positively impact the health of others? Are you scientifically driven and passionate about communicating scientific information? This is the right position for you! We want you on our Scientific Affairs team. Our Medical Science Liaisons engage in relevant, objective scientific exchange with health care professionals in an effort to facilitate scientific discovery and informed treatment decisions.
- You review emerging data with Healthcare Professionals (HCPs) discussing benefits and risks in a scientific, objective and unbiased way
- You interact with HCPs as scientific consultants to engage in scientific activities aligned with corporate projects such as advisory boards, speaker programs and clinical trials
- You identify HCPs with the scientific acumen and expertise to collaborate on forward thinking basic and pre-clinical research identified in our target planning
- You stay abreast of information and provide AstraZeneca with an understanding of regional HCPs, their practices and related key issues and trends in disease treatment so we can continue to build strong relationships and discover new ideas for research
- You act as a regional (field-based) subject matter expert in the lifecycle management of products in a variety of therapeutic areas
- As part of the scientific exchange, you will uncover opportunities for research with HCP’s and, where appropriate, connect these opportunities to the Medical Advisor as part of the Externally Sponsored Research (ESR) process
- You support key clinical trial sites by providing relevant scientific expertise on the molecule being investigated either during site initiation or shortly thereafter
- You collaborate with clinical operations groups in helping to ensure successful recruitment of clinical sites
- You have the ability to effectively synthesize and communicate scientific information at a peer level with a physician. You are able to connect with the HCP to engage in rewarding scientific exchange
- You are best suited for this role with previous experience as a healthcare professional (PharmD, MD) or one with scientific expertise including PhD or MSc
- Preferably two years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry in a physician-facing role
- Excellent ability to learn and capacity for scientific concepts and knowledge
- Effective and proven strong communication (both verbal and written) and presentation skills
- Demonstrated relationship development, leadership and team collaboration skills
- Good organizational skills and demonstrated ability to work autonomously
- Expert knowledge of the health care environment with regards to Opinion Leaders, Academia and the Medical Community in general
- Travel required (Local, Regional and National)
- Experience in the therapeutic area of Oncology is preferred, however, you may at times be required to change therapeutic areas to adapt to business needs.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.