Scientist I/II - Cell Line Development & Engineering - BPD
Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD:
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the group:
Our BioPharmaceutical Development (BPD) department supports the development and advancement of innovative biologics medicines to the clinic across the AZ therapy areas from early research to late stage development.
Within BPD, the Cell Culture and Fermentation Sciences (CCFS) function designs, develops, optimizes and validates cell culture and fermentation processes for a wide range of biologic products. The group generates optimal cell lines and is also responsible for technology transfers into manufacturing and preparing CMC documentation for regulatory submissions. Cutting edge high throughput scale-down models are employed to develop high-performing media and processes to support production. The group actively implements novel technologies, including automation and analytics, to advance production platform capabilities and drive forward a diverse exciting project portfolio.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
This position within Cell Line Development and Engineering team involves leading cell line development activities for biotherapeutic portfolio projects and driving the development of novel next generation expression platforms. Major responsibilities include:
- Leading all aspects of constructing and characterizing recombinant stable cell lines suitable for clinical supply of recombinant biotherapeutic proteins, covering vector design and engineering, stable cell line transfection and screening along with characterization of candidate production cell lines
- Driving the development, evaluation and implementation of technologies or processes that improve efficiency, performance and capabilities of cell line development platforms
- Working as part of multi-disciplinary teams to deliver on project objectives.
- Maintaining documentation: authoring, reviewing and contributing to written reports, procedures, manuscripts, presentations and regulatory submissions as required
- Developing scientific knowledge and capabilities by keeping abreast of relevant scientific developments, by collaborating with peer scientists or through contacts with internal groups
- Ensures that work is performed in accordance with Safety, Health and Environment regulations and AZ best practices
Education & Experience Requirements:
- BS/MS/PhD in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Genetics or Biological Sciences.
- Ph.D. with 0+ years OR Master's degree and 8+ years OR Bachelor's degree and 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience in the biopharmaceutical industry
- Sound knowledge and practical expertise in molecular biology including expression plasmid design and construction
- Mammalian cell culture including stable cell line generation and characterization
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent team player, able to work collaboratively as part of multi-disciplinary teams
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with proven technical writing skills and a publication record.
- Highly effective planning and organization skills, able to progress activities in parallel
- High level of attention to detail and ability to independently troubleshoot scientific and technical problems.
- Practical experience with genome engineering tools such as CRISPR or other gene editing technologies
- Expertise in one of the key scientific areas of mammalian gene expression, DNA recombination, transposon technologies system biology and omics.
- Experience in viral delivery systems for recombination protein expression
- Familiarity with using fluorescence activated cell sorting (FACS) and automated cell culture systems
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Check out our landing page for more information on our BPD group https://careers.astrazeneca.com/bpd
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.