Procurement Associate Director - Laboratory Services
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. Procurement is a function of approximately 450 highly skilled professionals globally that touches on all parts of the AstraZeneca business from the identification of new drug targets through to the supply of our medicines to patients. Procurement actively leads the sourcing of over $9BN of goods and services needed every year by AZ, building relationships with reputable suppliers. The Facilities and Laboratory Services Team is responsible for all facilities spend across AZ, supporting sites in Operations, R&D and Commercial areas. In addition to this, the team also has accountability for the provision of laboratory equipment, consumables and services to the R&D and Operations functions.
As the Associate Director for Laboratory Services you will head up the Global Category Team responsible for Laboratory Consumables and Chemicals, Maintenance Repair and Operation, and Capital Equipment provision. You will be responsible for the category strategy, key project delivery and developing an effective business partnering model and category influence. Have clarity on the ways of working with clear handoffs between key functions in Procurement as needed. This role will also ensure that the Operating Model evolves and supports the delivery of our Strategic Pillars and other key strategic drivers such as our Procurement Value Proposition linked to AZ’s Growth through Innovation and Operations 2025 strategies, and as initiatives mature and require implementation across the sites and laboratories in this area.
Your role will be fundamental to the success of the team as we look to implement critical initiatives and build our influence in the organisation. You will drive continuous review, measure and improvements to ensure we are optimising use of our team’s resources globally.
What you'll do
- Accountable for designing and implementing category, region or market strategies to optimise business efficiency and then peer reviewing these annually.
- Accountable for category management either globally, regionally or locally including strategic sourcing, supplier collaboration & innovation (SC&I), contract and risk management.
- Accountable for developing and maintaining strong knowledge of respective global supply markets, competitors and product innovations.
- Working with Procurement in understanding the global spend finding opportunities to increase quality and improve value for money. Facilitate implementation of procurement change initiatives within category to improve business performance.
- Map out and develop the key relationships which will need to be established across the functions.
- Accountable for ensuring that the category plan and sourcing activities align with the business through the procurement lifecycle and financial planning process (Long Range Planning – LRP)
- You will lead the laboratory team, resources, and category targets through direct reports and with our Global Procurement Services Team in Warsaw, performing Source to Contract (S2C) and elements of Category Management. Take ownership of the overall portfolio and all direct report's performance globally.
- Establish and develop a team by attracting high level talent from within and outside the organisation and providing appropriate opportunities and support
Business & Supplier Engagement:
- Develop an extensive understanding of the customer need and business environment. Build strong rapport with customers and ensure high levels of satisfaction.
- Work with the Strategic Intelligence team to perform procurement reporting and analysis of management information to identify potential improvement opportunities as well as identification of innovative procurement solutions that provide cashable savings and process efficiencies for the organisation.
- Address Supplier issues to ensure the highest level of service delivery. Maintain contractual and business relationships with Suppliers.
- Establish trusted relationships with vendors to achieve better pricing and quality of services
- Direct new initiatives and improvement programmes to ensure compliance, continuous improvement, technical excellence and improving cost-effectiveness
- Lead, define and gain approval of business needs and the translation of these needs into specific resource requirements
- Develop senior level relationships in order to resolve issues, optimise business performance and develop future improvement opportunities
- Instil the highest standards of compliance and ethics consistently across AZ
Essential for the role
- Degree level qualification
- Expertise in at least one area of Procurement and knowledge of several others
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Ability to communicate and negotiate with Senior Management Team
- Comfortable with risk and ambiguous situations
- Ability to influence and develop lasting relationships.
Desirable for the role
- Understanding of multiple aspects of procurement process
- Cultural awareness and appreciation
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.