Commercial Data Management Director (Oncology)
Do you have expertise in Oncology Commercial Data and have a passion for innovation solutions? Would you like to apply your expertise at a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
This role is designed to be entrepreneurial & business first; focusing on US Oncology Commercial Data across Strategy, Optimization, Operations and Innovation leveraging data as an asset at AZ Oncology. S/he will drive data strategy, knowledge management, innovation and commercial excellence within Data Management while implementing differentiating capabilities that empower the business to deliver on objectives and targets. Along with commercial data expertise in Oncology, s/he is expected to possess strong people leadership and change management expertise both in setting the vision and the through delivery; ensuring that Oncology Commercial Data Management is impactful to the US business spanning AZ commercial functions.
This role and its designated team focus on delivering innovation and adding value via accurate, timely and strategic data to drive the optimal insight and action while partnering closely with Business/Brand/Channel leads, Sales, Marketing Ops, Digital, I&A, Commercial IT, Alliance Partners, Industry Consultants, Vendors/Suppliers and cross functional peers within Sales Force Operations / Commercial Operations.
What you’ll do…
In this highly collaborative role, the ideal candidate strategically combines oncology knowledge, data specialization, business objectives and operational excellence to support business objectives.
Together, the above data-focused capabilities (in partnership with the Reporting, Analytics and Omnichannel teams) will support HQ, marketing, and field reporting and insight efforts across the US Oncology Portfolio (brand and above brand, currently spanning across 6 Oncology brands) driving better decisions and actions; faster. Understanding the Oncology business and operational delivery of our capabilities are a required skill that foster the actionable processing of data and delivery to downstream systems, advising development efforts in the platform, implementing new innovative data capabilities and responding to internal customer feedback to correct capability issues. This role reports to the Senior Director Sales Force Operations (Oncology) and is a peer to the Portfolio Reporting Operations Director. This role has 5 direct reports (among multiple vendor/partners) with functional leadership of Data Strategy, Data Optimization, Data Governance, Data Management, Data Platform Operations & Omnichannel/Digital Data Management and works collaboratively with several cross-functional teams and vendors to deliver the capabilities above.
S/he will partner closely with Sr Leadership/Leads across and not inclusive to: Insight & Analytics, Brand, Franchises, IT, SFO/Commercial Operations, Compliance, Legal, Channel Management, Precision Medicine & Access Strategy.
Essential for the role:
- Bachelor’s or Advanced degree in relevant field
- Minimum 7+ years pharmaceutical or biotechnology experience
- Ability to shape, set and clearly articulate and clearly communicate a compelling vision for the future state of AZ Oncology Commercial Data that fosters enthusiasm, buy-in, collaboration and insights.
- Experience managing the commercial data strategy, roadmaps, operational plans and business alignment necessary to effectively deliver business relationship management and portfolio management
- Ability to act as a catalyst to drive our transformation to be best in class, focused on customer centric capabilities in alignment with the business objectives of franchises, analytic partners, and other business functions
- Leads with a consultative approach while presenting complex issues and opportunities along with their recommended solutions in a simplified and succinct manner to Senior and Executive Management
- Strong leadership, innovation and operations competency to navigate between addressing current needs and planning for the future while evaluating marketplace trends and taking smart risks
- Experience with data applications in advance analytics and Artificial Intelligent/Machine Learning to drive innovation that enables downstream capabilities and delivers business objectives
- Actively creates and promotes cross-boundary collaborations to drive innovation to achieve better business results (success in this role is a strong collaborative relationship with Analytics, Reporting, Marketing, Omnichannel, Commercial IT and other cross-operations functions)
- Presents underlying integrity and courage to drive simplification and prioritization (while managing ambiguity at times) to identify opportunities to win via strategic thinking and agile implementation
- Makes and acts on decisions quickly and effectively and fosters the same in others. This is based on an underlying courage to enable smart risk-taking for the business
- Demonstrates learning capability by applying perspective from different experiences, is a confident problem-solver, solutions-oriented, without being constrained by process or precedent
- Seek out, coach, and mentor high potential staff for rotational roles to develop next generation of Commercial Operations leaders
- Demonstrates skills and experiences to listen and carefully considers others’ perspectives, especially to manage and resolve challenges and/or conflicts
- Drive impactful solutions via extensive experience working with Oncology data sets both in reference and secondary data showing ability to evaluate and integrate data sets into a structured environment with adherence to data model best practice
- Data quality management experience as well as data set cleansing expertise applied to large data sets (patient level data, sales data, etc.)
- Working knowledge of data architecture in cloud-based environments and processes (examples include AWS, Redshift, Hive, Spark, Airflow, Glue, Databricks) optionally including as Artificial Intelligent and Machine Learning service (examples include Sagemaker) to improve efficiency and downstream consumption
- Working knowledge of the Specialty Care distribution channels and product flow for oncology medications
Desirable for the role:
- Advanced Degree in technical, life-sciences, or business field
- Advanced knowledge of commercial data sources (examples include Claims, Diagnostic, Syndicated sales, EMR, GPO and other aggregated data), Customer Relationship Management (CRM) data sources (examples include Veeva, OCE), and digital campaign data sources (examples include MCRM, Tealium, 3PV Platforms)
- SME Oncology Business Acumen
- SME in Oncology Data Management
- Demonstrates conviction while communicating belief and commitment through everyday actions. Builds commitment among internal and external stakeholders
- Experience managing/optimizing data environments running on cloud-based environments to improve system performance
- Experience applying data in predictive and prescriptive analytics (example includes Targeting, Referral Mapping, Channel ROI, Marketing Mix)
- Partnership in delivering data models that support automated reporting solutions integrating BI tools (Qlik, N-Printing, Microstrategy) or other end to end cyclical report generation
- Previous data programming experience with Python, SAS, SQL, or other user-focused insight tool
- Ability to enable Artificial Intelligent and Machine Learning capabilities with robust data sources and processing capacity
- Agile deployment experience and application
<10% regional travel is aligned to this position
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.