Advanced Analytics, Sr Manager (Commercial Oncology)
Do you have expertise in, and passion for Insights and Analytics? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the Advanced Analytics, Sr. Manager - Oncology role in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through five key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, HER2 and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
Working with Marketing Teams, Insight Leaders, Sales Leaders, and Data Management Team, this role is accountable for leading the design, analysis, and interpretation of commercial oncology data from a variety of secondary data sources to inform and enhance decision-making across oncology brands. This is a position within U.S. Insights & Analytics requiring substantial relevant experience and established leadership skills, ideal for analytics professionals who excel at hands-on project leadership in synthesizing complex data to identify actionable strategies and tactics. The role reports to the Sr. Director, Advanced Analytics.
You will work cross-functionally within the organization and with external agency partners to design and implement analytics projects that address high-priority business questions across multiple oncology brands, drawing on your experience delivering sophisticated analyses that empower business stakeholders within the pharmaceuticals industry to operate with clarity and act decisively. Leveraging available tools, resources, and the latest advanced analytics methodologies, you will work closely with business stakeholders to provide trusted guidance based upon a deep knowledge of brands, sales, oncology customers, and marketing strategies and tactics across oncology franchises.
This role will also provide advanced methodological support across a variety of analytics workstreams, from customer targeting to patient journey analyses to marketing attribution modeling. Working closely with data science partners, you will continue to elevate the analytics capacity of the organization, driving innovation in order to improve the lives of patients and enhance commercial effectiveness.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Identify business needs proactively and build research/analysis with foresight
- Work with the Director and Sr. Director, in consultation with key business stakeholders, to develop analytics plans that focus resources and drive business growth
- Design, lead, and provide technical support to analysts conducting objective quantitative analyses (e.g., market sizing, segmentation analysis, target list development, etc.), and lead the evaluation, interpretation, and communication of results synthesized from different sources and types
- Work closely with Data Management team members to strategize on, compile, and organize key data sources on patients, physicians, and accounts, advising on prospective new data sources to achieve business value
- Create insightful reports and presentations that clearly and succinctly highlight actionable insights for a diverse group of stakeholders across commercial and insights functions, thoughtfully layering in business implications/strategic & tactical options
- Identify and drive reporting efficiencies and automations to ensure team members can invest time in addressing high-value business questions
- Collaborate cross-functionally with customer facing teams, internal insights and data science colleagues, outsourced partners, and consultants as needed
- Provide methodological support and guidance across various workstreams as needed, building the skills of teammates and nurturing a culture of continuous improvement
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong analytics capability / business acumen with ability to understand and interpret information from multiple sources, identify business implications proactively, and stitch together findings into a clear narrative for business users
- Comfort with ambiguity with the ability to challenge traditional thinking to solve problems
- Good presentation skills with the ability to explain concepts or plans in a simple concise manner
- Ability to lead without authority
- Ability to clean, wrangle, and transform large, complex data sources, using fit-for-purpose data analysis techniques to generate robust insights; demonstrating a willingness to help build the technical and business skillsets of analyst colleagues
- Manage, transform, and analyze data using Python and/or R, with essential SQL data retrieval skills, clearly commenting code for reproducibility and collaborating with colleagues using Git-based version control
- Substantial demonstrated experience with advanced data analysis techniques and complex project design, such as supervised and unsupervised ML modeling, NLP, multivariate statistical estimation, experimental (A/B testing) design
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across groups of diverse backgrounds and skills
- Ability to provide informational and analytical support for leadership in a timely and effective manner through seamless integration with other members of Insights and Analytics
- Strong Microsoft Office skills: Excel, PowerPoint, Access
- Strong familiarity with secondary patient-level data sources (IQVIA, Symphony, Flatiron, etc.)
- Pharmaceutical industry or management consulting experience, ideally in oncology
- Advanced Quantitative Degree (e.g., Statistics, Engineering, or Economics) or Advanced Marketing Degree (e.g., MBA)
- Manage, transform, and analyze within AWS (S3, Athena, SageMaker)
- BI visualization (Qlik, Tableau, etc.)
- Experience presenting to large teams with senior members
- Experience with Git-based version control
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility crafts life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 specialists in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most ground breaking technology and lab spaces, all designed to encourage collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to fostering a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers various amenities to help boost efficiency and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while strengthening collaboration between teams.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.