Statistical Science Associate Director
CAREER LEVEL: E
Leverage technology to impact patients and ultimately save lives
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, information technology? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the IT strategy in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? If so, AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work.
About our it team
It’s a dynamic and results-oriented environment to work in – but that’s why we like it. There are countless opportunities to learn and grow, whether that’s exploring new technologies in hackathons, or redefining the roles and work of colleagues, forever. Shape your own path, with support all the way. Diverse minds that work cross-functionally and broadly together.
About the role
Job Description / Capsule
The Statistical Science Associate Director has sufficient experience working as a statistician in the pharmaceutical industry to independently perform and lead statistical work within a project, an indication within a more complex project, or be recognized as a methodology expert. This individual is able to lead and direct Biometrics work either in-house or by partnering with CROs to ensure delivery to quality and time.
- The Statistical Science Associate Director may work as a lead statistician
- For a project or indication in clinical or preclinical therapeutic areas
- Leading the delivery and oversight of a multiple studies/indications within a project, potentially as a Global Project Statistician for a standard drug project
- Contributing to statistical methodological advances
- The accountabilities for supporting projects directly include:
- Lead the statistical thinking and contributions to the delivery of studies, development plans, regulatory strategy, health technology assessment, and/or commercial activities
- Direct project work, including statistical staff and/or CRO partners, to ensure delivery to standards, quality, and time
- Develop design options and provide high-quality decision support to enable the business to make informed decisions about a study or project
- Quantify the benefit, risk, value, and uncertainty of the emerging asset/product profile
- Investigate and apply novel statistical approaches, for relevant statistical issues and/or regulatory guidance and/or value demonstration, including modeling and simulation
- Mentor/coach and support the education and training of statistics staff
- The accountabilities for supporting statistical methodological advances include:
- Ability to consult across project teams within the area of expertise
- Application of expert skills to investigate, and apply novel statistical approaches, for relevant statistical issues and/or regulatory guidance and/or value demonstration, including modeling and simulation
- Produce pragmatic solutions, often within a tight timescale where the emphasis will be to deliver first, then refine and develop solutions thereafter
- Contribute to/or lead the development of a process improvement and/or capability area within the department
- Establish and improve standards and best practice, apply novel statistical approaches to increase effectiveness and efficiency
- Interact with external scientists and represent AstraZeneca Biometrics externally via publications and presentations on novel statistical approaches and best practice
- Mentor/coach and support the education and training of statistics staff in the technical arena
Education, Qualifications, and Experience
- MSc/Ph.D. in Statistics, Mathematics (containing a substantial statistical component), or recognized equivalent to stats M.Sc.
- Strong knowledge of programming in R and/or SAS
- Knowledge of the technical and regulatory requirements related to the role
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build strong relationships
• Usually PhD in Statistics or a relevant topic
• Experience of independent research
• Delivering innov
- Project Management Skills
- Proficiency in SAS and R/Python languages
- • Knowledge of Bayesian statistics from theory to computation is a plus
- Track record of research and methodological development in Statistics, supported by scientific publications in first class statistical journals
WHY JOIN US?
We’re a network of high-reaching self-starters who contribute to something far bigger. We enable AstraZeneca to perform at its peak by delivering premier technology and data solutions.
We’re not afraid to take ownership and run with it. Empowered with unrivaled freedom. Put simply, it’s because we make a significant impact. Everything we do matters.
SO, WHAT’S NEXT?
Are you already envisioning yourself joining our team? Good, because we’d love to hear from you! Click the link to apply, and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?
In Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.