JOB TITLE: Senior Statistician II
CAREER LEVEL: D
Leverage technology to impact patients and ultimately save lives
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, information technology? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the IT strategy in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? If so, AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work.
About our it team
It’s a dynamic and results-oriented environment to work in – but that’s why we like it. There are countless opportunities to learn and grow, whether that’s exploring new technologies in hackathons, or redefining the roles and work of colleagues, forever. Shape your own path, with support all the way. Diverse minds that work cross- functionally and broadly together.
About the role
Job Description / Capsule
The Senior Statistician II has sufficient experience working as a statistician in the pharmaceutical industry to be working independently on activities relating to design, delivery and interpretation, preclinical studies, regulatory submissions and/or commercialisation. This individual is able to perform and communicate results of more technical analyses, and able to guide less experienced staff. They have the scope to develop creative statistical ideas and approaches, and to apply them in their work. Competent individual contributor with excellent cross-functional collaboration.
The Senior Statistician II may work directly within a project and/or support statistical methodological advances.
The accountabilities for supporting projects directly are:
• Provide statistical expertise for complex design and interpretation for preclinical or clinical programmes, high level internal governance committees, regulatory submissions and/or commercialisation
• Analyse internal and external information, perform modelling and simulation to inform design decisions and the development of decision criteria
• Develop a Statistical Analysis plan for complex studies and/or project deliveries
• Act as a coach/guide for less experienced statisticians in the production of analysis, supporting graphics and analysis tables for study reports, Global Medical Affairs studies or publications
• Able to analyse, interpret, summarise and communicate results of complex studies
• Contribute to the regulatory submissions including specification of overview documents and response to regulatory questions
• Identify opportunities for the application of modelling and simulation to improve study design
• Identify opportunities to improve the methodology and provide practical solutions for problems
• Identify and apply statistical methodology to improve the process and delivery activities
• Contribute to the development of best practice to improve quality, efficiency and effectiveness
• Accountable for the quality of their statistical work; provide discipline-specific understanding, insight and constructive challenge and take ownership of development needs, seek coaching or training opportunities
• The accountabilities for supporting statistical methodological advances are:
• Under guidance of a more experienced statistician, produces pragmatic solutions, often within a tight time scale where the emphasis is to deliver first, then refine and develop solutions thereafter.
• Draft statistical analysis plans for complex studies
• Provide consultancy within area of expertise to fellow statisticians working within therapeutically aligned statistics groups, as well as medical scientists and other key roles across the business
• Investigate and apply novel statistical approaches, for relevant statistical issues and/or regulatory guidance and/or value demonstration
• Investigate and improve statistical approaches, establish standards and best practice, develop and implement new methodology interacting with external scientists
• Identify new areas where we can add value, developing collaborative relationships with the external scientific/academic community and maintaining academic links
• Contribute to/or lead the development of a process improvement and/or capability area within the Department
• Develop a strong understanding of the pharma business/AZ ways of working
• Communicate research and results internally and externally through participation at conferences and journal publications.
Education, Qualifications, and Experience
MSc/PhD in Statistics, Mathematics (containing a substantial statistical component), or recognised equivalent to stats MSc
• Competent statistical programmer (SAS and R)
• Knowledge of key technical and regulatory requirements
• Experience of design, analysis and reporting of preclinical or clinical studies in more than one setting
• Communication skills
• Collaboration and team working skills
• Experience and knowledge of statistical methods and applications in study design, analysis and interpretation
• Collaboration required
• Ability to apply statistical expertise to problems, problem solving and quality focus
WHY JOIN US?
We’re a network of high-reaching self-starters who contribute to something far bigger. We enable AstraZeneca to perform at its peak by delivering premier technology and data solutions.
We’re not afraid to take ownership and run with it. Empowered with unrivalled freedom. Put simply, it’s because we make a significant impact. Everything we do matters.
SO, WHAT’S NEXT?
Are you already envisioning yourself joining our team? Good, because we’d love to hear from you! Click the link to apply and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.