Head of Clinical - Cell Therapy
AstraZeneca's is a leader in Oncology with a global footprint and ability to deliver outstanding medicines both small and large molecules to the market. With the new leadership under the unified Oncology R&D, we have prioritized to invest in groundbreaking technology. One area of significant investment is to build internal infrastructure to be a leader in next generation cellular therapy products in Oncology. Using historical expertise in biologics engineering, gene editing and immune expertise across solid and heme malignancies, we are uniquely positioned to develop the best technologies for cellular therapies and is already growing a differentiated pipeline. Backed by senior leadership, the newly formed Oncology Cell Unit will utilize the best expertise within Astrazeneca while allowing for the rapid expansion of cellular therapy research and development.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Head of Cell Therapy Clinical to join our team. In coordination with VP Cell Therapy, you are responsible for building the Cell Therapy Unit, identifying priorities, and driving overall leadership of the new oncology cell therapy unit.
This highly visible position will require a well-trained clinician with strong leadership and communication skills who is driven by science. This physician would have a proven track record in Cell Therapy development including mastery of the drug development process (particularly early phase clinical trials), design of strategic development plans, protocol writing & study conduct, health authorities interaction, the principles of translational medicine, and what it takes to lead teams successfully.
In close collaboration with functional departments, you will ensure design and delivery of the clinical development plan for AstraZeneca within oncology cell therapy. You will support building out teams and ensure proper engagement with senior leadership.
This newly formed unit will deliver in our aspirations to be differentiated within the cell therapy space and as such will have significant impact on the shape of AstraZeneca R&D. A strong leadership team with credibility in this niche field is required.
The Head of Cell therapy Clinical will report into the VP of the cell therapy unit and have significant impact on establishing and fostering the growth of AstraZeneca in cell therapy. You can be based in one of our Oncology R&D Science hubs: Gaithersburg, Boston (US), or Cambridge (UK).
- Medical degree
- Professional qualification of medical oncology, hematology or immunology
- Clinical or research experience related to the design and/or conduct of clinical studies in oncology and/or hematology
- Cell therapy experience is critical.
- Track record of effective operational support of units or companies within cell therapy development
- Significant understanding of the overall drug development process
- Track record of influencing senior management
- Ability to influence strategically and persuade tactfully, to acquire desired outcomes while maintaining effective, positive organisational relationships
- Cross-functional team expertise and experience in leading through influence in a matrix organization
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Masters/PhD in a scientific field
- General immune-oncology experience
- MBA or equivalent business qualification
- Operational expertise in risk management and prioritization
- Familiarity with the latest research and thinking in cell therapy
- Effective problem and conflict resolution skills and proven team focus
Next steps? Apply now!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.