Associate Director, Mechanistic Biology & Profiling
Position: Associate Director: Mechanistic Biology & Profiling.
Location: Waltham, MA
At AstraZeneca, we’re not afraid to do things differently. We’re building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening up new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. As the US Associate Director of the Mechanistic Biology & Profiling Group in Waltham, MA, you will pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
Discovery Sciences is a multi-faceted department which drives early drug discovery across AstraZeneca’s global Research & Development portfolio. Mechanistic Biology & Profiling (part of Discovery Sciences), is a global, multidisciplinary department responsible for mechanism-of-action studies and compound profiling for efficacy and pre-clinical safety in support of the Oncology, Cardiovascular, Renal & Metabolic Disease, Respiratory, Inflammation & Autoimmunity, and Neuroscience portfolios. The department supports a broad portfolio of biochemical and cellular assays across a range of drug modalities that include small molecules, PROTACs, ASOs, etc., providing critical day-to-day support for projects from lead identification to candidate selection.
If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to make a difference and ready to discover what you can do – join us.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
You will report directly to the Global Head of the Mechanistic Biology & Profiling Department, as part of the global leadership team, together with leaders in Cambridge (UK) and Gothenburg (Sweden).
As the Associate Director, US, you will lead and drive a high-performing team to provide to deliver data that (i) drives the DMTA (Design Make Test Analyse) cycle and (ii), provides deep mechanistic insight for projects at the lead optimisation/ candidate selection phase, primarily in the Oncology therapy area.
You will be a recognised and passionate leader, able to represent the department across a broad range of therapeutic projects and global initiatives within Discovery Sciences and the disease areas, and also externally. You will drive scientific and technical innovation, including through external collaboration and partnership. As a key member of the Global Mechanistic Biology & Profiling Leadership Team, you will participate in setting and maintaining the strategic direction, scientific quality and efficiency of the department.
Minimum of a Master’s Degree required, PhD preferred
- PhD and 10+ years of related experience, or a Master’s and 15+ years of related experience
- Proven track record of recruiting, inspiring and developing a world-class group, and optimising team performance in a highly matrixed discovery project environment
- Formal training and proven expertise in a quantitative biology-based discipline (enzymology, pharmacology)
- 10+ years’ experience in pre-clinical drug discovery, with deep knowledge of the use of mechanistic enzymology to aid translation from model systems through to clinical dose prediction
- Proven track record of career progression, and significant external reputation in pharmacology and/or enzymology, gained through professional recognition, external presentation and publication in high-impact journals
- Extensive experience of establishing and leading external collaborations and technology change projects to advance organisational capability
- Track record of delivering results across a diverse project portfolio by driving strategic, scientific, financial and people performance.
- Strong and energetic leader - able to articulate a vision for disease- agnostic Discovery missions, set direction and inspire commitment for preclinical Discovery.
- Ability to manage internal expertise, capacity and resources to drive governance and decision-making regarding scientific portfolio support and technology development.
- Is future orientated and strategic in thinking style.
- Robust decision making informed by business and financial acumen and an understanding of competitor strategy.
- Generates exceptional results by influencing, driving performance and collaborating across project and country boundaries.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.